This is strictly technical stuff today, not the most exciting, but since this blog is a bit of journal of my creative pursuits, this is what has been on my mind the past few days. Working with vintage textiles presents some interesting challenges, and I certainly don’t want to discourage anyone from creating with them. Just be prepared!
My next step for my latest collage was to cut the batting and backing to size, wrap the extra 2” of backing inside the batting, put all three layers together, then quilt. I keep going back to this idea of mine to not have a visible border or binding to my collages. Right away, there was a problem. My dyed damask napkin that is the base of the collage is not square. Take a look at this wavy edge:
A bit discouraging, but I am stubborn. I am going to make this work. Yes, I had to re-trim my initial cut of batting… twice, despite careful measuring. I had to trim (and trim again) so that none of the batting/backing was showing from the front. Finally, I achieved that little goal, and wrapped the backing fabric around the batting, and ironed it into place:
So, this ended up being a fussy process, and it will be acceptable for a small project like this, but I cannot see it working at all for the larger whole tablecloth that I have in the works. Back to the drawing board… Meanwhile, my concern right now is quilting my trial piece.
Later in the week, I promise something much more interesting to look at!
Using vintage linens and working in a collage style presents some challenging problems. Certain traditional quilt methods of assembly just don’t work well with my creative visions and materials of choice. If you’ve visited my booth at a quilt show, you’ll know that I sell quite a few dyed vintage damask table linens. Many of them have a nice finished edge that I want to preserve while using them in a collage. I am still trying to come up with an easy way to bind all the layers and not lose that finished edge. Today, I am embarking on my latest attempt at this quest.
Starting with a medium size dyed damask napkin that will be the base of the collage, I picked out a couple of smaller squares on which to stitch scrap compositions. These smaller squares will be similar to the 4 x 4” square that I have been featuring in previous posts. The next step was to select scraps to add to the little squares:
I pulled out more scraps than I’ll be able to use in this project, but that’s OK – it is good to have more to choose from during the early planning stages. Next, I started working with the wool square. Several little scraps jumped out at me, and the placement of them came together quickly.
Notice that all the pieces are separate from each other. How would they look with a piece of fabric underneath (other than the background) that connected them together?
I like the second version, the additional piece of fabric adds another layer of interest. I’m going to take a look at some trims and funky yarns to add, as I think I’m ready to start stitching this one over the next couple of days.
I invite you to follow along in my quest over the next week or so, will this work out, or be a dead end? This will also be another look into my creative process.
I started a fabric dye session yesterday, and by dusk I was ready to call it quits with dyeing. It is a physically demanding task, and with each year, I feel it more and more in my muscles and joints. It is has also been frustrating for me not to be able to get the fabrics I’d really like, not yet anyway. I’m still using mostly vintage damask tablecloth and other vintage textiles. Today, I began the rinse out, and oh my, I take back all the thoughts I had yesterday:
I also have three different batches of black to rinse out, another day! My back needs a break before it feels broken.
The Brushed Steel and Tea Leaves have a habit of separating, resulting in some surprising random effects. The color separation is something that I find attractive. It adds visual interest and lends ideas for embellishing – think along the lines of trying to find images in the clouds.
Off to do some more laundry… I can’t wait to see this batch of fabric dried and ironed.
I should start an occasional feature here with the theme, “how did this happen?”
This is a detail of a larger piece in progress that has an interesting story. Well, nearly everything I make has an interesting story, that is why I create. Anyway, the base of this piece almost ended up in the trash. For a while, I was buying a fair amount of box lots at a local junk auction, of which I was interested in only some of the contents. One such box lot contained a vintage printed tablecloth that had seen better days. There must have been other table linens in the box that were in better shape. This one had so many holes in it, there was no way I could re-purpose it into a garment or overdye it. This ratty tablecloth begged me to give it another chance, and so I have. One day last summer, I took it up to the cemetery at the top of my hill, along with a bunch of crayons, and started making rubbings of the carvings on the gravestones. I didn’t stop until most of the cloth was covered in rubbings.
My next step is to start quilting this bit of crayon craziness. I am going to start with thread sketches of buildings that once stood in the little community that surrounded the cemetery. Check back next week to see if I actually started any of the quilting on this or the Upcycle quilt.
Rags Paper Stitches is
based in Southeast Ohio. Look for us at the following shows in Ohio:
Welcome to the online home of Rebecca Hosta, an award-winning textile artist and dealer of eclectic hand dyed fabrics, quality embroidery threads and unusual embellishing items. Please come out and shop with us at an upcoming quilt show.